Thursday, October 28, 2010

The King and I



I will always hold a special place in my heart for musicals and old films. This clip is from "The King and I," which is a lovely movie if you haven't had the pleasure. Reading up on the film, to find out just how huge Deborah Kerr's petticoat was, I found that the story is based on real characters. Anna, a widow from America, went to Siam (called Thailand today) to teach the King's children English. Despite his seemingly barbaric behavior, she fell in love with him (I can relate!). Though things didn't work out for them, the fact that the script was based on something real makes me love it that much more. The book is called Anna and the King of Siam, which may be next on my reading list.
I'm trying to keep Piper busy this week while Broc is in the field. She's not the diligent packing assistant I hoped she'd be, any ideas?

1 comment:

Patty said...

"The King and I" was also one of my favorite musicals growing up. It was only later that I too realized it was based on a true story. And for Pipes...play as hard as you can during the day so she'll sleep extra long at night? I know, too hopeful.